Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Ten Reasons You Should Change Your Habits

For the first part of launch week, I chose to share my story so that you would know where I'm coming from. Now that I've shared my story with you, I felt it was time to dive into normal posts so you can get a feel of what to expect around here. I'll be sharing more about what to expect in a future goals post, but for now, I wanted to share a few reasons you should change your habits in hopes of motivating you to push yourself just a little further this year.


Lots of people set new goals or resolutions when a new year rolls around. Often times, these goals are based around a habit that they would like to change - fitness, nutrition, organization, money management, etc. Many of my goals for 2017 are based around habits that I would like to change, so I'm not exception to the rule. Below you'll find ten reasons why changing your habits can help you in the long run. If I've left out any reasons, please let me know in the comments below!

1. Feel better.
Imagine waking up with fewer aches and pains and more energy. Changing our eating, exercise, and sleeping habits can help us achieve both of these. Changing habits may be difficult in the beginning, but just imagine how nice it will feel down the line.

2. Get more done.
How much time do you spend making excuses? Telling yourself that you "should exercise" or you "should" do this? Imagine how much more you would get done if you simply stopped making excuses and did the things you say you "should."

3. Save money.
Shopping can be a coping mechanism. It can also be a stress reliever. By replacing shopping with other stress relievers (better food choices, exercise, relaxation, etc), you'll end up saving money. Sticking to your first plan could also help you save money. (Check back tomorrow for a money saving tip for exercising in 2017!)

4. Be happier.
Less stress means more happiness. Our health and habits are directly tied to how much stress we feel and how we handle it. Let's imagine two dinner scenarios for a moment. In the first scenario, you planned out your dinner in advance and you know what you're going to have. In the second scenario, you're rooting around the kitchen right at dinner time trying to figure out what you can "throw together." Which one of these sounds less stressful?

5. Lose weight.
This one is the reason that a lot of people make resolutions regarding health when a new year rolls around. I was hesitant to put this one on the list because I believe in self love no matter what, but I also know that losing weight can be a huge motivating factor for some. So, as you can see, this one made the list. I don't feel any further explanation is needed though. Chances are you've read about how eating better and exercising more can help you lose weight. There really are no safe shortcuts.

6. Be healthier.
This is my driving force when it comes to changing my habits. I want to lead a healthier life and set a healthy example for my own kids. I have found that once something becomes a habit or a normal part of your life, it's easier to carry through with it. One example of this for me is wheat bread. When I first started pursuing healthier habits, I was a lover of white bread. It was soft, fluffy and just tasted better to me. I set out to make the change though and once I did, I found that white bread just wasn't as tasty as it once was. It took several times of only buying wheat before I discovered I liked wheat better. (Bonus tip: Don't give up after your first try. Instead, pick up a different brand. Not all breads are alike.)

7. Engage more.
Ever have those days where you're super stressed and your mood is so low that you just don't want to socialize? Healthier habits can lead to a better mood, which means you'll have fewer of those downer days that keep you from socializing and doing things you enjoy.

8. Regret less.
Ever looked back and said "I shouldn't have done that workout"? Probably not. People rarely regret the healthy things they do. It's much more common to hear someone say "I shouldn't have ate all of that." By changing your habits, you'll have fewer opportunities to say you shouldn't have done something that was bad for your health.

9. Do the things you love.
This one sums up a lot of the previous reasons changing your habits is a positive thing. If you have more time and money with less stress, then you're much more likely to find enjoyment in the things you do. Not to mention that the healthier you are, the more you're able to do.

10. Love yourself.
This is the biggest reason you should look at how you can change your habits. Change your habits in 2017 because you love yourself and you deserve the best. Don't change them because you think it's expected of you. Change starts on the inside.


Share your thoughts in the comments below:
Do you have any habits you're working on changing in 2017? What is your biggest motivating factor for changing your habits?

We're still in the middle of launch week around here! Don't forget that I've put together a launch week goodie pack filled with some of the health and fitness printables I've made over the past two years just for you. There are meal planners, trackers, goal setting worksheets, and even a coloring page included in this pack. So, before you go, don't forget to grab your launch week goodie pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment