Saturday, January 7, 2017

5 Ways to Practice Self Care Every Day

Can you believe it? We've made it to the end of launch week and I feel like it's been quite a success. The end of launch week also means that the first week of the year is officially over. Amazing how time flies. It also means that in about a month, our baby boy will be making his entrance into the world. You might think I'm crazy for launching a new blog right before such a life changing event, but I'm not entirely crazy. I have a plan for this blog and so far it's going better than expected. For the next few months, you'll see one helpful post a week (on Fridays) and receive a Monday Motivation email if you've signed up for the weekly newsletter. There's a few more surprises coming as well but I'm not ready to reveal those just yet. I do hope you enjoy today's topic - the last day of launch week seemed like the perfect time for a self care post.


Self care is one of those terms that is thrown around a lot lately. People create elaborate lists filled with tasks like bubble baths and doing your nails. I've made and shared those lists myself in the past. This year though, I'm taking a simpler approach to life and keeping everything basic and uncomplicated. I think a new baby will complicate things enough.

Self care is one of the areas I want to simplify for myself. "You can't pour from an empty cup" is a popular phrase that I strongly believe in. When our lives are out of balance, it's harder to remain calm and stress free. This is where I feel self care comes in - taking care of ourselves is a great way to lessen our stress levels and remain calm when people are pushing our buttons. I don't always have time for something elaborate though so I wanted to share my ideas for including it as part of your daily routine.

Eat like you love your body.
An easy way to show our bodies some love is by carefully choosing what we put into them. Food is our major energy source and therefore a form of "fuel" for our body. If we put bad fuel into our body, it doesn't run as well. However, if we strive to put good fuel into our body, it will operate at a higher level. Good food doesn't always have to be boring or bland. There are plenty of great recipes out there that are healthy, delicious, and waiting for you to try them out.

Move your body everyday.
Stop for just a moment and think about your body. It was designed for movement. We have bones, joints, and muscles that move in all sorts of directions. I highly doubt we were designed this way to sit in a chair all day doing nothing. However, a lot of jobs and lifestyle choices easily lend themselves to a lot of sitting. Make sure you're showing your body some love with daily movement. This can be as simple as a walk at lunch time or as complex as a session at the gym. You know your body and your schedule - figure out a way to include movement that works for you. (If you need ideas, you can always reach out to me via Facebook or Instagram!)

Use your favorite bath scrub or lotion.
Bathing is a pretty common part of life that everyone does. (At least I hope everyone places some importance on their hygiene.) It's also the perfect time to show your self some love by simply using a favorite product. Maybe it's the body scrub that leaves you feeling smooth or the lotion with the perfect scent. You know which items are your favorite - why not allow yourself to indulge during your 15 minute shower or bath?

Read everyday.
We've shown our body love on the inside (food) and outside (hygiene), why not show our mind a little extra love? Reading is an excellent way to open up our mind to new thoughts and ideas. Pick a book to read for entertainment or look into one that will help you with your personal development. Then, set aside a certain time of day to enjoy a chapter or two. You'll be amazed at the effect it has on your daily stress level.

Practice meditation.
This is another one that focuses on showing love for your mind. Meditation comes in many forms, sizes, and lengths. There are apps out there that can help you meditate or there are tips scattered across the web. I haven't had much luck with meditation but I do practice the same concept from time to time with yoga or journaling. Essentially, I want to encourage you to set aside a few minutes each day to simply be - to let your mind wander and think without all of the constraints a busy life can create.

Make it a part of your daily routine.
I'm currently in the process of putting together a morning and nightly routine that includes many of the elements I mentioned above. Keep an eye on my Facebook page and Instagram page to see how I'm doing with this goal. I will be sharing my progress towards establishing a daily routine from time to time.

Do you currently include any of these ideas in your daily routine? Which one of these methods would be the easiest for you to include in your daily routine?

6 comments:

  1. I'm working harder to do this every day. We eat healthy every day, but it's the taking time for ME (reading, showering, lol ) that seems to be a challenge. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can definitely be hard to remember! I recommend making it a part of your morning or evening routine. :)

      Delete
  2. I love these, especially eating like you love your body. For me (someone literally addicted to sugar) it always helps to visualize what that sugar overload does to my poor organs...stomach, pancreas, kidneys...it's just a wreck that your body has to fix!

    Thanks for the post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one is definitely important but also hard to remember! "You are what you eat" right?

      Delete
  3. I really need to do this! I want to and it doesn't happen.. Need to spend less time on social media THAT'S for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pick one and make it a habit!! Let me know if you need extra accountability. :)

      Delete